Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Coconut Explosion

via NatalieDee.com


In the exciting journey of self-experimentation and learning about health, I've found quite a few fantastic cookbooks. In an effort to actually go through and try out some of the recipes, I'm going to be posting general book reviews and recipe reviews from some of my favorites.

The first one up is by Sally Fallon, who is an author and co-founder of the Weston A. Price foundation and Dr. Mary Enig, called Eat Fat, Lose Fat. When first landing upon the idea of the primal lifestyle and reintroducing healthy fats into my diet, I had a ridiculously tough time getting enough fat into my daily intake. I used to believe 100% that any fat = not fitting into my favorite pair of bright green pants.

This book has helped tremendously. The first part is informational and tackles the ins & outs of healthy, traditional foods versus today's standard (American) diet. Then you get into the good stuff: menu plans, ideas for fermented drinks and RECIPES!!

Favorite part of the book so far? The huge use of anything & everything coconut related.

If you're looking for a book that has easy to digest information about traditional eating and real food plus a ton of great recipe ideas, I'd  pick this one up. It runs around $16, however I got it at Powells used for $8.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to try the Coconut Mashed Potatoes (probably going to use sweet potatoes though). Nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment